The VP, Media Relations manages multiple accounts for the public relations practice and is a role model for staff. The VP, Media Relations plays a key role in account planning and staffing and manages staff issues objectively. As the principal client contact for assigned public relations clients, the VP, Media Relations counsels clients, manages expectations, reviews, and adjusts program for effectiveness. In this role, the VP, Media Relations has the ability to expand client relationships and billings with excellent work, new ideas and program and will participate in group management decisions. The VP, Media Relations will show an ability to work across functional area and integrate well with investor and corporate communications practice and staff. This individual will understand regulatory compliance rules and regulations and advances to level 3 skills in media, social, writing, client counseling and mastered level 2 sales activity.
Includes, but not limited to the following:
Media Relations Responsibilities:
- Develops traditional and online media strategies on client’s behalf on an international scale.
- Actively participates in the identification of media targets for client companies, provides outreach to select media and works with team to execute on the set up one-on-one meetings and follow up, if needed
- Works with team to outreach to media on clients’ behalf; pitch client story as appropriate and agreed upon; conduct interviews with client and/or acct. team
- Ensures that team properly distributes over the wire (different for each client) and through agency’s web-based product press releases based on best venue
Client Management Responsibilities:
- Provides solid recommendations and strategies to client(s) and follows through on those recommendations with flawless execution.
- Maintains day to day lead account role on designated account(s).
- Works with clients to discern messaging of product(s), data as well as business unit/corporate messaging.
- Develops appropriate strategies to communicate client brand based on the competitive landscape and the news item; can anticipate how message will be received across various audiences.
- Develops and executes client public relations/affairs programs.
- Understands product PR for therapeutic product(s) and how to position leading up to commercialization and/or partnership.
Oversees client budgets:
- Actively leads team to learn more about the industry and effective tools to gain client respect.
- Writes more technically oriented (data releases) press releases, fact sheets, and other client documents. Works with team to provide drafts.
- Ensures documents are finalized through internal protocols to provide clients with documents error free.
- Identifies the most effective tools in order to get the best job done for clients in a reasonable budget.
- When situation is appropriate, reaches out to third parties such as partner companies, physicians who have authored key data to be presented at medical meetings or, in a medical journal and coordinate quote, interview or other details
Oversees client timeline, competitive client news
- Participates in brainstorming sessions to create opportunities for visibility for clients or to properly position clients when news is not as expected
- Works with team on account planning; update internal documents as needed
Agency Management Responsibilities:
- Fosters positive attitude, collaboration, and enthusiasm.
- Responsible for performance reviews and professional updates to staff including mentoring
- Provides strategic input into the firm PR initiatives in terms of attracting new clients, outlining new products/services to provide clients and actively supports in the marketing the firm’s capabilities
- Actively recruits and interviews new potential account staff to align with the firm’s PR initiatives and client accounts
- Actively participates in the business development initiatives of the firm including on-site pitching, proposal writing and/or review, active networking and prospecting for and identifying potential new clients.
- Provides input into branding of the firm including outreach to PR publications and the updating of the firm’s website.
- Effectively sets goals and actively contributes to the firm’s “Standards of Excellence” to develop best practices for growth.
- Ensures agency has active relationships with third party vendors such as graphic artists, printers, web service providers, wire services, etc. in order to fulfill client needs.
- Oversees management of account staff time against approved client budgets, works with OM to update budgets accordingly.
- Watches retainer due dates and anticipates in advance to renew.
- Actively participates in firm-wide planning and other management meetings.